Re: Appointment of a Transport Area Director

2013-03-05 16:51:39
While the IETF is unique in many ways, the staff-volunteer issue isn't all that
unique. Many organizations face this. As one example, organizations like IEEE
and ACM struggle with this. (For example, they have, over the years, delegated
many functions in conference management that used to be done by volunteers to
paid staff.) Even government regulatory bodies operate with a mixture of
volunteer labor (advisory councils) and paid staff. The solution space seems
rather constrained:

(1) Fish in the shallow pool of full-time "volunteers" who have a large
corporate sponsor. Risk that the corporate sponsor wants something in return.

(2) Pay the person a salary while on leave from their home
institution/employer. As an example, NSF and DARPA do this for their program
managers. The employer still takes a hit and there's some risk to the person
that they won't get their job back, but it allows a larger number of
individuals to participate.

(3) Scale back the responsibilities of the individual to make it a 10-20% job.
Senior technical or regulatory staff don't read every document line-by-line or,
for a conference chair, read every paper, but focus on key issues, by asking
questions and relying on more junior staff/volunteers to prepare briefings, for
example.

Financially, (1) and (2) aren't all that different financially, except that the
money flow is more opaque than an explicit "tax".

I don't think that adding tools helps except at the margins, and only in
combination with changing the process. Also, this is not likely to work for
just one area. You can't easily have one AD do grammar and spelling corrections
on every IANA registration draft, and another just do big-think.

Henning