Re: Diversity of IETF Leadership

2013-03-12 13:25:26

On Tue, March 12, 2013 10:35 am, Randall Gellens wrote:
At 3:54 PM -0700 3/11/13, Dan Harkins wrote:

 Do you feel that
 an all-female group is stupider than a similarly sized group that is
 equal parts male and female?

Based on my own experience, I believe that a broad range of
background and experience improves the quality of decision making of
a group.  This is not to say that administering a standardized IQ
test to a group would result in outcomes predictable by gender
diversity of the group.  But it is to say that, for example, having
some people with implementation experience is a good thing in
protocol design discussions.

  I share your belief that diversity of background and experience
makes a group function better. I'm glad you mentioned implementation
experience. The small corner of the IETF that I lurk in seems to be
becoming less diverse in that respect and I think it's to the detriment
of our protocols.

We've been veering into narrow discussions of race and gender
diversity, but earlier messages in this thread discussed diversity
along other lines, for example, type of employer (large, small,
equipment vendor, university) and operational experience with
networks in different geographic regions.  Let's not fall into a
rat-hole of narrow considerations of diversity.

  The problem was stated in the open letter thusly:

"In February of 2013, there were 32 members of the IETF leadership
(12 IAB members, 15 IESG members and 5 IAOC members).  Of those 32
members, there was one member of non-European descent, there were no
members from countries outside of North America or Europe, and there
was only one woman.  There were only 19 companies represented (out of
a total of 32 seats)."

  Out of 32 members there's only 1 who is of non-European descent
(i.e. not white) and only 1 woman. So the "problem", aside from corporate
representation, is that the IETF leadership is too white and too male.

  I'd love to get out of this rat hole. Perhaps the signatories of the
open letter can restate the problem they see so it isn't made in terms of
race and gender.

  regards,

  Dan.