Re: Diversity of IETF Leadership

2013-03-20 12:09:55

On 3/20/2013 10:01 AM, Jeffrey Haas wrote:
In general, we want the best people in the job in question.  What is "best"
depends on the position (chair, I*, etc.) but as a technical organization
that runs on documents, several things will bubble to the top:
- Technical clue in the matter at hand.
- Reasonable administrative skills.
- Ability to work with others.
- Solid communication skills.

Note the 3 of the 4 items on your list are not a matter of technical skill.

Also note that your list is missing something that was raised earlier in the thread, namely the difference between local optimization versus 'global'. There are benefits in having a group mixture that can be far more important than the attributes of the group members taken individually.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking