Re: On the tradition of I-D "Acknowledgements" sections

2013-03-24 22:26:14
On 03/25/2013 09:23 AM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
I think I at least partly disagree. The acknowledgements section of RFCs was not, and to the best of my knowledge is not, concerned with capturing the history of where specific changes or ideas came from. It ought to be concerned with giving credit to folks who made particularly large, but not authorship level, contributions to the document.

I'm sure that everyone has their own practice WRT authorship, contribution and acknowledgment, but this is my own of longstanding: if a person contributes text that can be used as-is, w/o modification, I list them as an author (unless they request otherwise); if a person contributes text that is useful but requires editing to fit in, I list them as a contributor; everyone else who at least makes a comment (useful or not) gets listed in the "Acknowledgments" section. As an aside, I have been occasionally scolded as "snarky" by ADs and others for saying something like 'Thanks to...for (mostly) useful comments', the parenthesized portion being the offensive one. Perhaps those people live in a world where all comments are informed and useful; I only wish that I did.

I have seen I-Ds which included change logs which made an effort to capture the major changes to a document and their cause. these were, at best, ungainly. And are, as far as I know, always removed before publicaiton as an RFC.

Yours,
Joel