Re: It's a personal statement (Re: On the tradition of I-D "Acknowledgements" sections)

2013-03-25 09:37:53

On Mar 25, 2013, at 12:14 AM, Carsten Bormann <cabo(_at_)tzi(_dot_)org> wrote:

Further, the IETF should acknowledge that the contents of Acknowledgments
sections varies widely between RFCs. Some are fairly complete, some are
fairly vague and incomplete, and some are between.

Bingo.  It is up to the sole discretion of the document authors what they
want to list in the Acknowledgements section.

+/- 0. For personal documents, it is up to the author; for WG documents, it is
up to the WG. Some WGs are acknowledgment-heavy, some are not. I have been in
WGs which used "you might get listed in the Acknowledgements" as a tool to get
better reviews. It seemed cheesy, but it worked.

The contents of the Acknowledgment section is about as much subject to WG
consensus as the authors' street addresses.

Disagree. WG documents are WG documents. If the author/editor doesn't want to
do what the WG consensus is about the document, the author/editor can walk away.

--Paul Hoffman