Re: On the tradition of I-D "Acknowledgements" sections

2013-03-25 01:38:26
On 3/24/13 10:28 PM, Abdussalam Baryun wrote:
Some people never recognise new comers ideas until backed up with old
comer idea. Do you think that is right?

No, I think that is not right.

I brought middlebox work to the IETF as my initial
involvement.  It did not go smoothly, but it went,
and we ended up chartering a new working group.  I think
you'll find many similar stories.  It can be extremely
frustrating bringing new work in, whether you're a newcomer
or an old-timer.  I've got some stuff I'm working on now
that I'm having considerable difficulty finding traction
with but the solution to that is not to whine to the
IETF discussion list, but to improve the presentation
and framework, and make it clear that the problem is
well-defined and soluble.  (It's extremely difficult
to move middlebox-related work forward in the IETF -
on balance that's a good thing, given the seriousness
of the potential impacts).

You get what you get, and you have to work with what you
have.  If you have defensible ideas it can work out quite well.
If you have indefensible ideas, well, here you are.

Melinda