Re: On the tradition of I-D "Acknowledgements" sections

2013-03-25 20:57:52

On 3/25/13 9:35 AM, John C Klensin wrote:

--On Monday, March 25, 2013 09:05 -0600 Peter Saint-Andre
<stpeter(_at_)stpeter(_dot_)im> wrote:

On 3/25/13 1:11 AM, Loa Andersson wrote:
AB,

I've been following this first with increasing amusement, ...
not!

A search on Baryun for IDs on the RFC Editors web page gives
the following result:

"o Based on your search of [Baryun] in the All Fields field
zero matches were made."

Time to terminate this "discussion"?

Actually the following search ...

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/search/?name=baryun&rfcs=on&a
ctiveDrafts=on&oldDrafts=on&search_submit=

... yields ...

draft-baryun-manet-technology-00     MANET Subnet Technologies
Considerations       2012-07-30      Expired

draft-baryun-manet-terminology-00    Terminology in Mobile Ad hoc
Networks     2012-07-04      Expired

draft-baryun-rfc2119-update-00       Key Words of Conditional Language
of Requirements Levels       2012-07-31      Expired

draft-baryun-roll-nap-00     The Node Ability of Participation (NAP)
2012-08-01   Expired

And, actually, this is more interesting.  I don't follow MANET or
ROLL, but the 2119 update got some discussion on the IETF list.  If
we think we have good ideas, most of us listen carefully to the
discussions and then generate -01 drafts that attempt to
incorporate the suggestions and deal with the objections.  Here,
the documents are abandoned at -00.  The author has moved on to
complaining about how badly the IETF and various of its WGs are
broken instead of trying to work with the community to refine the
ideas.

That has nothing to do with whether the particular contributions in
MANET should be acknowledged in any particular document.  Had
either of the two I-Ds listed above that were addressed to that WG
gotten traction we might be having a discussion now about who he
would see fit to acknowledge.   But, instead, we see expired -00
drafts and a lot of complaints.

Sad situation for all concerned.

Indeed. Thus my subtle suggestion that the original poster complete
some real technical work in the IETF community before making more
suggestions about process.

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre