Re: On the tradition of I-D "Acknowledgements" sections

2013-03-25 01:10:26
On 3/25/13, Joel M. Halpern <jmh(_at_)joelhalpern(_dot_)com> wrote:
I think I at least partly disagree.  The acknowledgements section of
RFCs was not, and to the best of my knowledge is not, concerned with
capturing the history of where specific changes or ideas came from.

Do you have a reference that shows that IETF follows your opinion,
please point to a best practice of informational RFC that mentions
that, we should not assume.

 It
ought to be concerned with giving credit to folks who made particularly
large, but not authorship level, contributions to the document.

Maybe that is majority of editors but should not be true. The
contributors are mentioned in RFC as contributors (i.e. that added
large technical contributing), and acknowledgements are thanking folks
that participated

I have seen I-Ds which included change logs which made an effort to
capture the major changes to a document and their cause.  these were, at
best, ungainly.  And are, as far as I know, always removed before
publicaiton as an RFC.

If participants agreed to do that then it is ok, as long as all are
happy. Please note that some participants have right to ask to remove
their name, but also IMO we need not as editors to remove or ignore
without permission.

Thanks
AB

Yours,