Re: IETF Diversity Question on Berlin Registration?

2013-04-12 03:26:38
Ray

Expert as the IETF (and its allied organisations) is in Internet
Engineering, I doubt if many of those skills transfer into Social
Engineering, which is the field in which I think this question lies.
Lacking such expertise, into how to frame a question in order to get the
answer which is wanted, how to interpret the results of a self-selecting
survey, complying with the legislation relating to the handling of
personal information in the countries involved, I think that the IETF
should stay out of this.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ray Pelletier" <rpelletier(_at_)isoc(_dot_)org>
To: "Ray Pelletier" <rpelletier(_at_)isoc(_dot_)org>
Cc: "Discussion IETF" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:17 PM
Subject: Re: IETF Diversity Question on Berlin Registration?

And please direct your comments to iaoc(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

Thanks

Ray

On Apr 11, 2013, at 11:11 AM, Ray Pelletier wrote:

All

The IETF is concerned about diversity.  As good engineers, we would
like
to attempt to measure diversity while working on addressing and
increasing
it.  To that end, we are considering adding some possibly sensitive
questions to the registration process, for example, gender.  Of
course,
they need not be answered and would be clearly labeled as optional.

The IAOC would like to hear from the community on this proposal.  It
plans to
make a decision on its 18 April call in order to make the changes in
time for the
Berlin registration and will consider all input received by 17 April.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ray
IAD