Re: IETF Diversity Question on Berlin Registration?

2013-04-16 23:51:45
My own feeling is that if we were to find that the
numbers supported the notion that there's bias
present in the system we probably couldn't do anything
about it without tearing the organization apart, so,

Is there a way to increase #countries #small companies #women etc? Be
it about the participants or the leadership. Could we set a goal that
we'll increase some aspect every year, 2014 to be better than 2013?

IMO we can do many thing about it, if we discuss these issues into an I-D.
- There is a way to increase #women when they decide together as a
group what is missing, and what should be done,
- There is a way to increase #small companies when they are
accepted/involved in IETF WGs documents. If individuals are encouraged
then SMEs will be as well,
- There is a way to increase #countries/states when each have their
accepted access to the IETF WG system.

I may suggest that each WG system to not only have two chairs, but
also 5 administrated participants (for each continent, they may give
chance to SMEs access and new I-Ds) that should look into the
implementation/running-code of the IETF WG standards in real life.
They can look into countries/states challenges/involvement in such
work of the WG, to be documented if available. Countries will only
increase-in/use IETF if their SMEs are using IETF systems. Now it
seems that there are influences/directions from the industry/countries
to IETF WGs' work but not seen/clear to others.

For women, I think there must be at least 10% of women in the IETF
leadership, as we should not ignore that many research/SMEs in
industry are directed by women. They should publish an I-D related if
they are interested. Is IETF still directed by men or both?

AB