Re: Language editing

2013-05-02 17:04:10

On 05/02/2013 02:40 PM, Yaron Sheffer wrote:
As a non-native English speaker, but a language pedant nonetheless, I can
empathize with people who put Discusses on badly written documents.

I suggest that we budget for a number of WG drafts per year (say, 20
IETF-wide) to go through professional, paid-for heavy-duty editing, with
these goals in mind:

- Improve the readability of some of published documents, because if a
document is *really* badly written, even the RFC Editor team will not save
it. - Improve the level of review, because people can understand the
document better if they don't need to dig through incorrect or "strange"
language. - Allow more non-native speakers to participate in our primary
activity (back to our "diversity" discussion).

I would suggest that the editing step should take place just before WG
Last Call, upon a request by a WG chair and with AD approval.

An alternative would be to have the RFC-editor doing copyediting of I-Ds for a
fee.  Depending on the cost, I would use such service for my I-Ds.  That would
be good for everybody:  I would spend less time trying to make my text legible
and more making the protocol described in it better.  And because the document
would have been copy-edited by the same people that will publish the RFC,
that's less work at the end.

Thanks, Yaron

Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 21:14:39 +0300 From: Hannes Tschofenig
<hannes(_dot_)tschofenig(_at_)gmx(_dot_)net> To: Jari Arkko
<jari(_dot_)arkko(_at_)piuha(_dot_)net> Cc:
Pete Resnick <presnick(_at_)qti(_dot_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>, IETF list
<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Subject: Re: call for ideas: tail-heavy IETF process Message-ID:
<5182AD0F(_dot_)4010204(_at_)gmx(_dot_)net> Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=ISO-8859-1;
format=flowed

[...]

PS: I just want to add that I still dislike DISCUSSes that make me
re-write documents just because an English native speaker believes
(probably rightfully so) that he knows how to write the text better (or
at least in a different way). (hint, hint)

- --
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Email: marc(_at_)petit-huguenin(_dot_)org
Blog: http://blog.marc.petit-huguenin.org
Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/petithug