Re: Language editing

2013-05-02 18:13:41

On 5/2/13 4:03 PM, Marc Petit-Huguenin wrote:
On 05/02/2013 02:40 PM, Yaron Sheffer wrote:
As a non-native English speaker, but a language pedant
nonetheless, I can empathize with people who put Discusses on
badly written documents.

I suggest that we budget for a number of WG drafts per year (say,
20 IETF-wide) to go through professional, paid-for heavy-duty
editing, with these goals in mind:

- Improve the readability of some of published documents, because
if a document is *really* badly written, even the RFC Editor team
will not save it. - Improve the level of review, because people
can understand the document better if they don't need to dig
through incorrect or "strange" language. - Allow more non-native
speakers to participate in our primary activity (back to our
"diversity" discussion).

I would suggest that the editing step should take place just
before WG Last Call, upon a request by a WG chair and with AD
approval.

An alternative would be to have the RFC-editor doing copyediting of
I-Ds for a fee.  Depending on the cost, I would use such service
for my I-Ds.  That would be good for everybody:  I would spend less
time trying to make my text legible and more making the protocol
described in it better.  And because the document would have been
copy-edited by the same people that will publish the RFC, that's
less work at the end.

Instead of imposing even more work on the RFC Editor team, I suggest
that you find someone in the WG, in your company, in the IETF
community (etc.) to help with the language issues. I did this recently
with a document in one of the WGs where I'm active and it worked quite
well (especially if the document is under source control and you can
just send a patch).

Peter