Re: Language editing

2013-05-03 03:30:52
----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Saint-Andre" <stpeter(_at_)stpeter(_dot_)im>
To: "Marc Petit-Huguenin" <petithug(_at_)acm(_dot_)org>
Cc: "Yaron Sheffer" <yaronf(_dot_)ietf(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>;
<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2013 12:13 AM

On 5/2/13 4:03 PM, Marc Petit-Huguenin wrote:
On 05/02/2013 02:40 PM, Yaron Sheffer wrote:
An alternative would be to have the RFC-editor doing copyediting of
I-Ds for a fee.  Depending on the cost, I would use such service
for my I-Ds.  That would be good for everybody:  I would spend less
time trying to make my text legible and more making the protocol
described in it better.  And because the document would have been
copy-edited by the same people that will publish the RFC, that's
less work at the end.

Instead of imposing even more work on the RFC Editor team, I suggest
that you find someone in the WG, in your company, in the IETF
community (etc.) to help with the language issues. I did this recently
with a document in one of the WGs where I'm active and it worked quite
well (especially if the document is under source control and you can
just send a patch).

Ah, there's the rub.

I have done this on a number of occasions for a variety of people and
editing the text file of an I-D is almost trivial compared to then
incorporating the amendments, some agreed, some debated, some rejected,
into the XML, in doing so introducing the need for further amendments
(problem generates change generates problem generates ... the cycle
beloved of all software developers).

We really do need a tool, the like of which I was using 40 years ago
when writing code, that allows patches to be applied independently and
temporarily to see what it then looks like and if agreed that it looks
good, incorporating them permanently into the source (XML).  Ideally
such a tool would reverse engineer the amended text into XML patches as
well - text is so much easier to work with than XML (or any other markup
language).

Tom Petch

Peter