Re: Language editing

2013-05-03 06:58:37
---- Original Message -----
From: "TZI" <cabo(_at_)tzi(_dot_)org>
To: "t.p." <daedulus(_at_)btconnect(_dot_)com>
Cc: "Peter Saint-Andre" <stpeter(_at_)stpeter(_dot_)im>; "Marc Petit-Huguenin"
<petithug(_at_)acm(_dot_)org>; "Yaron Sheffer"
<yaronf(_dot_)ietf(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>; "ietf"
<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2013 9:37 AM
Subject: Re: Language editing

We really do need a tool, the like of which I was using 40 years ago
when writing code, that allows patches to be applied independently

that's what pull requests (or gerrit) are about.

and
temporarily to see what it then looks like and if agreed that it looks
good, incorporating them permanently into the source (XML).  Ideally
such a tool would reverse engineer the amended text into XML patches
as
well - text is so much easier to work with than XML (or any other
markup
language).

try writing the draft in markdown and using Miek Gieben's or my tool
(kramdown-rfc2629) to convert into XML.

it is so much easier to collaborate in markdown...

<tp>
Right, but the context is that after many years and several rounds of
editing, the I-D is ready for Last Call and someone who may not have
been previously involved in the editing goes through and proposes
enhancements for legibility.  It needs to be an available on the IETF
website tool and easy enough for many to use without much education.

Tom Petch

Grüße, Carsten