Re: Is this an elephant? [Was: call for ideas: tail-heavy IETF process]

2013-05-17 08:35:09
Dave, Ralph,

Jari has expressed the goal of having AD concerns be raised more publicly.
Moving AD review and comment to the IETF Last Call venue nicely accomplishes
this, too.

I just posted elsewhere a suggestion to move this review even earlier, to WG
last call.  Accomplishes most of the same ends, while putting the discussion
in front of the IETF participants who are, presumably, most invested in the
resulting document.

We've also said that we'd like to move the directorate reviews earlier, to WGLC
time. (Subject to us finding a way to do that without increasing directorate
workload too much.) See the thread "ways forward with the tail-heavy aspects of
the IETF process".

But overall, we have to be careful that we don't move the same processes to a
process step that has a different name but in reality will not impact how
things are done. Part of the idea for moving directorate reviews earlier is
that more of the responsibility for dealing with these could reside with the
WGs rather than ADs. And that is a change that affects substance and may
improve scalability. Similar reasons are needed for other changes.

I'm not opposed to moving AD reviews to IETF LC time or even earlier, but we'd
have to find a way to accommodate both technical comments as well as those
relating to taking LC feedback into account. ("draft-foo LC feedback from Joe
was was not appropriately addressed" and similar end-of-process checks.)

Jari