Re: Is this an elephant? [Was: call for ideas: tail-heavy IETF process]

2013-05-17 21:52:16
On 05/17/2013 10:37 PM, Andy Bierman wrote:

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 7:29 PM, Keith Moore <moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com <mailto:moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com>> wrote:

    I don't think milestones will be useful unless and until:

    (a) they're defined in terms of not only concrete but also
    meaningful goals (e.g. "complete problem definition", "identify
    affected parties and groups representing their interests",
    "complete outline of initial design", but NOT "revise document X");
    (b) we start automatically suspending the activities of groups
    that fail to meet them (no meetings, no new I-Ds accepted, mailing
    list traffic blocked), until such groups are formally rechartered; and
    (c) IESG is reluctant to recharter groups that have repeatedly
    failed to meet milestones, especially if those groups haven't
    produced evidence of significant progress.

I think we can find some middle ground between "ignore charter milestones completely"
and "autobot to terminate WGs behind schedule". :-)

Actually I think it might require an autobot. Because someone (probably the responsible AD) has to evaluate a WG's progress, and ADs don't want to take the heat for shutting WGs down. Better to put the responsibility on the chairs for completing the milestones and reporting to the AD before the shutdown deadline.

(of course, there could be a generous grace period between the milestone deadline and the actual shutdown, with warning messages sent to the WG chairs and ADs, etc.)

Keith