Re: Issues in wider geographic participation

2013-05-28 03:27:10
Your experience and ideas on how to start-out are useful.

On 27 May 2013 16:13, Yoav Nir <ynir(_at_)checkpoint(_dot_)com> wrote:

LCD?

Anyway, What I found most useful when I was starting out 9 years ago, was
to look over the list of areas and working groups (
http://tools.ietf.org/area/ ) and find out which of them are working on
something that is of interest to me. In my case it was mostly the security
area, and the IPsec working group, since that is what I was working on in
my day job. I subscribed to that list and some others that were also
related to what I was working on (TLS, PKIX).

So the best thing is to subscribe to the mailing lists, both those that
interest you personally and those that are of interest to your employer (if
there are such groups).

Step 2 is to lurk for a couple of weeks at least, and just read what
others are posting. If they're talking about a particular draft, it's easy
to find on one of the IETF sites and read it. So you read the drafts, and
read what people are saying about the drafts. This teaches you both about
what the group is working on, and the (for lack of a better term)
"political" part - who are the participants and what are they like.  You
might also want to read the Tao document, although different groups have
varying dynamics.

After a while, you've read the drafts, you've read what some people are
saying, and you may have formed an opinion, either about the draft itself,
or about one of the comments. That's a good time to speak up by sending a
message to the list. Maybe the draft got something wrong. Maybe the comment
is only correct in certain contexts, but doesn't describe some situation
you're familiar with. Maybe in reading the draft you find it hard to figure
out what an implementation should do in a certain case, and you present the
case, and ask that it be clarified. Maybe the proposed protocol would
require clients, servers, or middleboxes to allocate more memory than
implementations that you know can afford. Such comments, and even better,
proposed fixes are how you build a reputation in the IETF for knowing your
stuff. You can also volunteer to review a whole document, or volunteer to
write a missing section. That is how you build a reputation for being
useful. Both are necessary for success in the IETF.

Step 4 is when you have an idea of your own, or you read someone else's
idea and you want to participate. In that case you either write your own
draft or join someone else in writing one. It's often not enough to just
write it. You also have to get people to read it, post about it to the
correct lists, and in general "sell" it and gather support. It is at about
that time that you start to feel the need to attend meetings, but you can
get some things done even without it.

Hope this helps

Yoav

On May 27, 2013, at 3:33 PM, Nthabiseng Pule
<npule(_at_)lca(_dot_)org(_dot_)ls>
 wrote:

as,

I am new to the IETF.  I would like to contribute any way I can, but the
learning curve seems steep indeed. I am from an LCD country.  I have the
necessary resources but I just don't know where to start.

Some guidance would be welcome. I am reading on stuff and hope that one
day I will be able to make some meaningful contribution.

Nthabiseng Pule

On 27 May 2013, at 1:52 PM, Arturo Servin <aservin(_at_)lacnic(_dot_)net>