Re: Issues in wider geographic participation

2013-05-27 10:16:14

On May 27, 2013, at 5:23 PM, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

On 5/27/2013 4:13 PM, Yoav Nir wrote:
Anyway, What I found most useful when I was starting out 9 years ago,

One might wish for a document that gives such guidance to folk who are new to
the IETF.

And indeed...

    The Tao of IETF: A Novice's Guide to the Internet Engineering
    Task Force

    http://www.ietf.org/tao.html

If the content needs to be improved, let's do it!

Yes, and for extra credit you can read RFC 4144.

I find it hard to improve on the Tao, but I think that its target audience are
people who are ready to plunge - review documents, attend meetings, write
drafts. It took me over a year of mostly lurking and little discussion to get
there. Others may be quicker.

I've also found that it's hard to make generalizations about working groups and
their associated mailing lists. Some are low-traffic, some have 50 messages a
day. Some discuss protocols in abstract terms, while others take the "running
code" part seriously. Some have dominant chairs that moderate the discussion
such that all threads become dialogs with the chairs, while in others the
chairs move out of the way to let the discussion flow. Some have dominant
experts and everyone waits for their (final?) word on the subject, while at
others not only everyone may speak, but almost everyone is listened to.

Regardless of what we would like groups to be like, I think it's important -
particularly for a newcomer - to lurk for a while and get a "feel" for the
working group. Otherwise you get into arguments with the local crank that
everyone else knows to ignore (I've done this lots and lots of times).

Another think I've learned is that you don't necessarily end up being involved
in the things you came into the IETF for. I came to the IETF to follow things
that were important to my part of the company: IPsec, TLS, PKIX. I ended up
contributing in MSec, and finally chairing the WebSec group, which is really
far away from my day job. Interestingly, a lot of the same people show up in
different working groups, so it works very well to do work in one group, while
still following the groups that you came in for. IOW my ability to follow the
groups that are related to my day job is enhanced by being active in other
working groups. That was kind of surprising to me at first.

So like the Tao says, take the plunge. The more you're involved in something,
the more you can do in other things. Much of being effective in the IETF is
about knowing people and making yourself useful to them.

Yoav