Re: IETF Meeting in South America

2013-05-29 06:19:39

--On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 14:50 +1000 George Michaelson
<ggm(_at_)algebras(_dot_)org> wrote:

I went to Adelaide. it was my first IETF. I am now an IETF
regular-irregular, of 10+ years standing. So, proof by
example, it increased Australian participation by at least 1.

I think that increasing IETF participation by you has certainly
been worthwhile for the IETF.

We went to Australia in part because there was already a
significant base of Australian participation (as you point out).
Certainly the organization for which you work had others who
participated on a regular basis, so there should have been
significant support structure for your participation both before
and after your first meeting.  As I've said before, I think we
would be more than justified in going back to Australia and I
would try attend such a meeting.

Even those other factors were not relevant in your continued
participation, if one calculates the aggregate marginal cost to
other participants --in either money out of pocket or in
justifying additional travel expenses against tight budgets-- if
the key accomplishment directly associated with your meeting
there is adding you as a participant, you are a rather expensive
guy for the rest of us.

best,
    john