Re: IETF Meeting in South America

2013-05-29 06:40:08

On 29 maj 2013, at 13:31, John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com> wrote:

Given the differences between ICANN and the IETF, this is
relevant how?

I was not clear enough on my response.

I see two things discussed:

1. Whether the organisation should "move around" and place meetings here and
there.

There is, as many have said on the list and privately to me, many differences
between the organisations on requirements on doing so.

2. Whether, given South America is chosen according to a proper selection
according to (1), Buenos Aries was a good choice.

My comment was related to questions related to (2). That people felt
uncomfortable traveling there.

I now understand my comment could be interpreted as if I felt it was important
for IETF to go there. Sure, in general I think anything that can make IETF and
other organisations do outreach is good. But for IETF, it is secondary. Quality
of documents is much more important, and having local meetings might make
documents less US/Western Europe centric in views related to various things.
But of course not a primary goal as it is for ICANN (for example).

Btw, after not going to IETF for a while, I will come a few days to Berlin ;-)

   Patrik