More participation from under-represented regions (was: IETF Meeting in South America)

2013-05-26 15:10:08
At 09:42 26-05-2013, Dave Crocker wrote:
I like visiting South America. But IETF meetings do not have tourism as a goal. So yes, I'm sure those who go will "enjoy" the city; but again, that's not stated purpose of choosing venues.

Over a year ago "the IAOC [was] pleased to announce the Return of the Nerds to Paradise!"

If we are serious about wanting more participation from under-represented regions, then let's attack that issue seriously and substantively, rather than with an expensive marketing show.

Yes.

The meaning of "the elephant in the room" is "an important and obvious topic, which everyone present is aware of, but which isn't discussed, as such discussion is considered to be uncomfortable". The elephant in the room is that there hasn't been any discussion about what has been done to get more participation from under-represented regions but nobody has mentioned that.

 (a) Was the IESG working on how to get more participation from
     under-represented regions?

 (b) Was the IAB working on how to get more participation from
     under-represented regions?

I am asking the above questions as it is not clear who in the IETF was doing that.

Regards,
-sm