Re: WebRTC and emergency communications (Was: Re: IETF Meeting in South America)

2013-05-26 14:57:58
Indeed, there has already been some coordination between the groups, going
back about a year:
<http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/84/slides/slides-84-ecrit-0.pdf>
<http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-aboba-rtcweb-ecrit-00.txt>

So my read of the situation is much less dire than James's.  As I
understand it, the upshot of the initial coordination discussions is that
there's not a single, clear "RTCWEB+ECRIT" story.  Instead, there are a few
ways you can put them together.  In the short run, without upgrading PSAPs,
RTCWEB VoIP services can bridge RTCWEB signaling to ECRIT-compliant SIP,
either at the server, or at the client using something like
SIP-over-WebSockets.  In the long run, PSAPs can just advertise an RTCWEB
service like they would advertise a SIP service today (in LoST).  Neither
of these is incompatible with RTCWEB or ECRIT as they're being specified
today.

I expect there are probably some ECRIT considerations that aren't naturally
supported in RTCWEB.  Things like real-time text come to mind.  However, it
doesn't seem to me that there's gross incompatibility.

--Richard

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM, John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com>