Re: IETF Meeting in South America

2013-05-24 09:57:44
Hello,
  Just a small comment:

On 5/23/13, Jari Arkko <jari(_dot_)arkko(_at_)piuha(_dot_)net> wrote:

For what it is worth, I wanted to provide my perspective on this. I of
course believe that it is important that the IETF reaches out to an even

{...}

Just meeting in some place does not bring too many new participants, at
least not in a lasting manner. But combined with some other actions, this
may be possible.

 I couldn't agree more.

Are there specific companies or research teams that we
could reach out to, and who might want to be involved in the IETF?

I believe it's a great start. I think most Latam countries have
certain research entities which involve networking.

Are there
local events where where it would be useful to have someone from the IETF
give a talk?

Plenty of events!.. But I also have to say that ISOC and IETFers have
been very supportive. It's common to have IETFers in our events. This
is always great.

Part of the LATAM participant increase you have seen since IETF82 is
some effort from ISOC to promote the IETF in Latam.

Are there specific IETF or IRTF efforts where we could get more
people from South America involved? Should the ISOC fellows program target
something different than it has so far,

  The ISOC fellow program is terrific, what we can do it to support it :)

or be scaled up? Other ideas?

  One idea that I have always had is to use local ISOC chapter to
follow certain WGs remotely during an IETF event.  I mean, a bunch of
people join in a certain place and get remote participation to the
event. This is a long shot but the idea is to do it regularly and in
many ISOC chapters (sorry if it's been done but AFAIK no)

Jari

P.S. By coincidence, I happened to visit Buenos Aires last year, and found
it to be a fun city. I felt safe and despite not speaking the local language
I was able to talk to the friendly locals, order food, access the network,
acquire a SIM card (albeit with some bureaucratic and technical
difficulties, but I think I can still dig up the MNC numbers that were
needed to configure the phone correctly :-), use the airports, rent a car,
and find a Finnish sauna. I think the city offers all the essential
ingredients for life :-)

--
=====