WebRTC and emergency communications (Was: Re: IETF Meeting in South America)

2013-05-25 02:10:34
James:

did you know that you have a audio/video realtime interactive communications
WG churning out proposals and solutions that is *actively* ignoring
"emergency communications" in its entirety? No? Look at RTCweb, which will
become a dominant form of interactive communications between humans in the
near future. You have an equally active WG in the same area that is
addressing emergency communications (ECRIT) that is further along/mature in
its documents (i.e., they've already produced the bulk of their RFCs,
specifically RFC 6443 and 6881).

Given that young people already think contacting a local emergency call
center (PSAP) can or should be achievable through SMS, IM, twitter and
Facebook... just how long does anyone think it will be before calling
911/112/999 will be requested or mandated through WEBrtc/RTCweb?

Waiting will only make it more painful to retrofit it into the future RFCs
produced by RTCweb.

I knew that WebRTC is happening fast, including implementations coming out
before standards. I don't think everyone have yet realised the full impact this
technology will have.

I didn't know about the details of the emergency communications situation. But
it is always difficult to balance getting something out early vs. complete. I
know how much pressure there is on the working groups to keep up with things
actually happening in the browsers and organisations setting up to use this
technology. Do you think the retrofit will be problematic, and do you have a
specific suggestion about what should be included today?

Jari