Re: More participation from under-represented regions

2013-05-27 05:01:29
Juliao,

Thanks for the stats.

To borrow your words: > "the issue is to establish a systematic and effective
process in under-represented regions", and that I believe should start at
the grassroots level & at the regional/national level .

Why does the numbers from the AfriNIC and LACNIC regions keep declining?
Don't these regions operate networks like everyone else? Which areas/WGs of
the IETF will they find particularly helpful/useful to subscribe to? Are
the AfNOG annual meetings enough to encourage participation from the
AfriNIC region? Could the IETF run "a day or two event" annually at the
AfNOG meetings as part of the "AfNOG Tutorials Workshop" to create a lot
more awareness and elicit participation? Could the institution of "IETF
Champions" in the under-rep regions where ISOC has presence influence
participation from these regions?

The ISOC Ghana Chapter for example runs a GhNOG workshop (4 day event)
annually in the month of July where workshop participants are trained in a
variety of areas relating to System Administration, Network Monitoring &
Management, CERTs and many more.

Going into the next workshop this July, the Chapter plans to dedicate a day
of the workshop to awareness creation about the IETF. Will this increase
participation from Ghana in any way? If the approach is done right with a
keen focus on the needs of participants it most definitely will.

At best we all agree there is the need for active participation and
inclusiveness from all the regions if the Internet is to develop and evolve
to its fullest potential. Let's work together to get EVERY ENGINEER on
board!!

Best,

EAO

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 12:02 AM, Juliao Braga