Re: Content-free Last Call comments

2013-06-11 16:33:47
On 6/11/2013 1:50 PM, Doug Barton wrote:

As I understand it cross-disciplinary review is also an important
function of the IETF LC.

This gets at the reality that the current IETF uses processing phases rather more robustly than we used to. It certainly used to be that IETF LC was essentially a last chance for people with objections, but now it's a full round of broad reviews. It is, therefore, a real vetting phase by the larger community. As such, positive comments can be as valuable as negative, but of course only if they are backed with substance.

Possibly contrary to Pete's stated preference, I'll suggest that statements of pure support -- backed up with substantive commentary -- can be useful, given the low level of activity and involvement many working groups currently show.

To the extent that the IETF cares whether anyone beyond the authors care about the document, this shows that they do.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking