Re: Content-free Last Call comments

2013-06-10 19:37:33

Hi Pete,

I think you err when you say this:

A statement such as the above is almost entirely useless to me as an
IESG member trying to determine consensus. It is content-free.

In fact, you do know Russ. If you did not, then the above would be
far closer to correct. But in reality you do know a lot more than
you claim below. With overwhelming probability, your choice #2
applies and I'm very surprised you don't also think that. If it
made a significant difference and I wasn't sure I'd ask Russ to
clarify. For me, I read Russ' mail and I concluded he meant #2.
And I'm confident in that conclusion.

So I'm really bemused when you say that you don't know how to
interpret Russ' mail.

Declaring that mail problematic also seems quite purist to me.
And insisting on purity seems to me worse than being slightly
but harmlessly ambiguous.

At the same time I agree we do not want a procession of +1 mails.
But then we won't get that for this draft. And if we did get that
for any draft, some IETF participants (probably incl. you and I)
would notice that and query it or object. So perhaps you're also
being a tad trigger-happy on jumping on this message.

Lastly, I think evaluating IETF LC messages only in terms
of how they help the IESG evaluate consensus or not is wrong.
Those messages are for and from the IETF community. So if
e.g. some renowned NFS person who's hardly known to the IESG
were to have sent an equivalent message, that might have been
quite good input that Martin or Spencer could have translated for
you. And that's just fine. And it would be fine if Russ' mail
had been directed not at the IESG but at some other part of the
community.

So bottom line, I think you're wrong, Russ' mail was not
content-free.

S.

PS: Yes, this is a not-very-good academic accusing an employee
of an industrial behemoth of excess purity. Go figure:-)