Re: Content-free Last Call comments

Pete,

On 12/06/2013 07:45, Pete Resnick wrote:
It's interesting to see that people are interpreting me to mean I want
more text. I don't. I want less. Save your breath. There is no reason to
send one line of support, and it only encourages the view that we're
voting. Details below.
Just to test what you are saying, let me ask the following.

Oooo...I love a test.

How would you react to one that says something like:
"I've read the draft, and I've considered Joe Blow's objection, but I
still support publication of the draft" (*not" followed by a reasoned
rebuttal of Joe Blow's argument)?

I would be rather grumpy with such a message. If there's an outstanding (reasonable) objection to a document, I need to know why to consider that argument in the rough. I'd have to ask for more detail from the sender. If the response I get back is, "I figured it was obvious why Joe Blow was full of crap", I'd ask, "Then why did you bother posting?" If the sender happens to be an expert (and Joe Blow is not), I'm still not going to take it at face value that Joe Blow is wrong. If I did, Joe would be well within rights to appeal because his argument got blown off.

So, if you're saying something that is perfectly obvious, no need to say it. But if it's not perfectly obvious, I do want more text.

pr

Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478