Re: Content-free Last Call comments

2013-06-11 17:04:47
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Ted Lemon
<Ted(_dot_)Lemon(_at_)nominum(_dot_)com> wrote:

It is presumed that some degree of consensus to do the work of a working
group existed when that working group was chartered; otherwise it would not
have been chartered.   When the working group reaches consensus to publish,
therefore, it is assumed that the IETF has consensus to publish the
document, because the IETF tasked the working group to go off and do its
work, and the working group did it.

Therefore, silence during IETF last call is not interpreted as apathy, but
rather a lack of objection to the completion of a process that the IETF
chose to embark on and that the IETF has brought to completion, through the
instrument of the working group that produced the document.

This is in fact how consensus is evaluated during IETF last call.

That's interesting - judging by the messages on this thread, there doesn't
appear to be a strong consensus on this...

  If you think it should be done differently, write up a document and get
IETF consensus on it, and we can change the procedure to whatever you think
it should be.   Maybe it would be an improvement.

... and how would we judge IETF consensus on a document that doesn't get
done under a charter (which would in turn have been granted consensus
without any IETF comments?)