Re: Content-free Last Call comments

2013-06-12 12:14:04
Hi Dave,
At 01:43 12-06-2013, Dave Cridland wrote:
I strongly feel that positive statements have value, as they allow the community to gauge the level of review and consensus, and I suspect that human nature means that we get more reviews if people get to brag about it. I suggest that if more than one bit of data is required, it's simply asked for. Given that the text of IETF Last Call announcements is not governed by any process RFC that I'm aware of (feel free to correct), I suggest simply putting a set of optional questions there. I note this practise has served the XSF very well. I do not think this needs an endless bikeshed discussion on what questions; the IESG can pick what it wants to know.

If, on the other hand, only objections are sought, then the text (which simply asks for "comments") also needs changing. And the GenArt, AppsDir, and SecDir reviews should only be send when they have objections to publication, of course.

If you feel that the only way to make either change is to form a working group and publish an RFC to change something undocumented in the series, then I think we're stranded in a bureaucratic quagmire with no chance of escape, but I'll be happy to send "comments", as requested, nonetheless.

An interesting point in the above is level of review and consensus. Here's what I know: there is going to be apathy, there might be attempts by a group to support a draft or even attempts to silence critics, there might be someone new to all this who might be commenting. If it was my decision to make (and it is not) I would take those factors and some other points into consideration in making a determination about a document.

As I have read your reviews I have an approximate idea of the type of review you would do. I read the draft and I notice some obvious issues; I downgrade your statement of support to a tweeter comment. I read the draft and I notice an obvious issue; I consider your statement of support as good enough.

I have read the reviews from the IAB Chair. I read the draft and I notice that it is not well-written; I downgrade the statement of support of the IAB Chair to a tweeter comment. I read the draft and I notice that it is good to go. However, I don't find any comments about it except for a statement of support from the IAB Chair. I don't say that there is consensus. Note that this is really a personal decision; someone else might say that there is consensus. It's not a problem unless the IESG is affected by the Abilene paradox.

The XSF is likely a group of people who can write code. The IETF is a bunch of people who might discuss about content-free comments but won't comment about the draft. :-) Drawing up a set of optional questions will generate a bottom-up discussion and that would be against the values which the IETF cherishes. :-) There isn't anything preventing an Area Director or someone else from asking optional questions during a Last Call. Optional questions from an IETF participant might be ignored if such activity would turn a Last Call into the Tribunal del Santo Oficio de la Inquisición.

If you are doing an AppsDir review, for example, and you state:

   The draft is ready for publication as a Proposed Standard.

I presume that you can personally explain the meaning of that sentence.

If you are an individual responding to a Last Call you can say anything you wish. If your message is littered with spelling mistakes or it does not contain any substantive comment, it won't bear much weight. If your English writing skills is not that good but your code is good the message will bear more weight. If your message is to show your management that you are participating in the IETF the message will not bear much weight.

It's simple enough. I would send a message if I believe that it can affect the decision. It's up to me to know what will influence the content and fate of the draft.

Regards,
-sm