Re: The Nominating Committee Process: Eligibility

2013-06-27 08:35:38
Just a quick aside, but having run an interim WG meeting where we did not
charge a meeting fee and knowing how significantly attendance diverged, I
would strongly support at least some meeting fee for remote attendance.
 There's also the key fact that the IETF is funded by IETF meeting fees and
ISOC.   Maybe the remote fee is scaled by region of attendee or such if
there is concern that it is burdensome.

I have attended one meeting remotely - and the experience is nothing at all
like being at IETF.  I can see modifying NomCom eligibility constraints
slightly - but I really do not think that remote attendees will have the
necessary experience and acculturation unless they have attended a number
of IETFs in person.

Having served on a NomCom a long time ago, I'd say that an inexperienced
volunteer set gives substantially more strength and bias to the non-voting
members, who are definitionally very familiar with the IETF and the
candidates for office.

I am not convinced the trade-off is worth it - but I can see the benefit of
modifying eligibility constraints to keep people eligible for longer.  I'd
like to see a way to include active and experienced remote attendees, but
am quite cautious on that.

Alia

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Michael Richardson
<mcr+ietf(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>wrote:

Arturo Servin <arturo(_dot_)servin(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
    > Today it is possible to verify that somebody attended to an IETF
    > meeting. You have to register, pay and collect your badge. However,
in
    > remote participation we do not have mechanisms to verify that
somebody
    > attended to a session.

We need to have registration for remote participation, even if we charge
zero.   I believe that perhaps we need to provide some magic token in
jabber
or in the NoteWell slide, that needs to be used by remote participants to
check-in. They have to do that during the meeting itself.

I also ask whether remote participation on the plenary should be
"mandatory"

We also need to permit judgement calls.

--
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh
networks [

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software
Works