Re: The Nominating Committee Process: Eligibility

2013-06-27 09:17:15
Michael,

I think what you're getting at is that there are different types of
remote participation.  If one wants to listen in, that should only
require the appropriate software and a network connection.  If one
actually wants to participate, then one either has to get onto a WeBex
or Meetecho system.  The point of this is that there has should be some
demonstration that someone substantially participated in an IETF event.

Speaking of which, let me also raise another issue.  As those of you who
will be there in person will see in Berlin, we have a *vast* number of
BoFs planned, and this could lead to a vast number of additional new
working groups.  We won't have room for them all.  In addition, I myself
am co-chair of a working group who is not intended to meet – *ever*.
Linked to the issue of NOMCOM is the idea that working groups actually
meet at IETFs.  Some certainly will continue to do so.  Others, on the
other hand, require more bandwidth.  Case and point: the httpbis working
group has held two interim meetings and two more are planned.  All off
site.  Should these people be counted?  If so, how?

And yes, it is possible to make this so complex that nobody would be
able to figure out who is eligible.

And so, as I said, I'm fine with SM's idea, modulo John's suggested
edit.  But I also think it would be useful to look beyond that change as
well.

Eliot