Re: The Nominating Committee Process: Eligibility

2013-06-27 11:30:42
Hello,

I'll reply to several messages below to reduce ietf@ mail traffic.

At 03:03 27-06-2013, Eggert, Lars wrote:
Section 2 says:
   RFC 3777 [RFC3777], Section 5, "Nominating Committee Operation",
   Paragraph 1 of Rule 14, is replaced as follows:

      Members of the IETF community must have attended at least 3 of
      last 5 IETF meetings remotely or in person including at least 1 of
      the 5 last IETF meetings in person in order to volunteer.

A few questions:

(1) How do you define "remote attendance"?

(2) How does the secretariat determine whether someone has remotely attended? (Based on whatever definition of remote attendance you have in mind.)

I prefer not to get into a definition of "remote attendance" for now. For what it is worth the current system only tells us that a person has paid the registration fee. That person could have gone shopping, fallen asleep during the WG sessions, or sitting in a corner as he or she does not have a dot and is not considered as important.

Question (2) is based on the assumption that the IETF Secretariat has to make that determination. I am leaving question (1) open as I would like to listen to what you and everyone else has to say first. Question (2) could be addressed after that.