Re: The Nominating Committee Process: Eligibility

2013-06-27 11:45:07
Hi,

On Jun 27, 2013, at 18:26, S Moonesamy <sm+ietf(_at_)elandsys(_dot_)com>
 wrote:
(1) How do you define "remote attendance"?

(2) How does the secretariat determine whether someone has remotely
attended? (Based on whatever definition of remote attendance you have in
mind.)

I prefer not to get into a definition of "remote attendance" for now.

sorry, but it's silly to attempt to propose that remote attendees be permitted
to volunteer for NomCom without defining what defines a remote attendee.

 For what it is worth the current system only tells us that a person has paid
the registration fee.  That person could have gone shopping, fallen asleep
during the WG sessions, or sitting in a corner as he or she does not have a
dot and is not considered as important.

The issue you are raising - that limiting the NomCom pool to recent attendees
of physical IETF meetings may have downsides - is valid. But at least the
requirements the current policy sets are clearly defined.

Until you nail down what exactly defines a remote attendee, I can't really form
an opinion on whether allowing them into the NomCom pool is a good idea or not.

Lars