Re: The Nominating Committee Process: Eligibility

2013-06-27 05:52:30

On 06/27/2013 10:50 AM, S Moonesamy wrote:
Hello,

RFC 3777 specifies the process by which members of the Internet
Architecture Board, Internet Engineering Steering Group and IETF
Administrative Oversight Committee are selected, confirmed, and recalled.

draft-moonesamy-nomcom-eligibility proposes an update RFC 3777 to allow
remote contributors to the IETF Standards Process to be eligible to
serve on NomCom and sign a Recall petition (
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-moonesamy-nomcom-eligibility-00 ).

Could you please read the draft and comment?

I think physically attending 1 meeting might not be enough
esp. if a nomcom were selected that had a lot of folks on
who'd only ever been to one meeting. But I'm sympathetic
to the goal and am sure some qualification rule (*) could
be worked out. (Probably after about 1000 messages;-)

However, before getting into that I'd like to hear from
folks who've been on or chaired nomcoms. I know a lot of
it is done remotely, but how important is the f2f part
that happens during meetings? Would it really be ok if
say 5 voting members could never come to a meeting
whilst serving? (And I think that'd not be an unlikely
outcome.)

S.

(*) Like I said, too early to get into it, but the nomcom
selection process could also require that the voting
members collectively have been to N meetings, with each
voting member able to contribute at most M to that total.
Say with N=30 and M=4 or something, and keep running the
random selection until you get 10 voting members that
satisfy that. And if we went there, we could also require
that nomcom as a group have written a number of RFCs
perhaps or even have some folks with Jari's h-index>3
or something. We could have lots of fun with all that:-)

Regards,
S. Moonesamy