Re: The Nominating Committee Process: Eligibility

2013-06-27 12:32:05
At 09:44 27-06-2013, Eggert, Lars wrote:
sorry, but it's silly to attempt to propose that remote attendees be permitted to volunteer for NomCom without defining what defines a remote attendee.

Agreed.

The issue you are raising - that limiting the NomCom pool to recent attendees of physical IETF meetings may have downsides - is valid. But at least the requirements the current policy sets are clearly defined.

Until you nail down what exactly defines a remote attendee, I can't really form an opinion on whether allowing them into the NomCom pool is a good idea or not.

What I did in the initial draft is to work from the text already in RFC 3777. It has been mentioned by several people that participation is a way for somebody to get IETF experience. The question is how that participation can be defined.