Community Feedback: IETF Trust Agreement Issues

2013-08-03 05:18:47
IETF Community,

The IETF Trust Trustees would like feedback from the community on several
issues:
        - We have received requests that we cannot accommodate and have
consulted legal counsel to review our options
        - The trust agreement does not allow the trustees to effectively manage
some trust assets

The Trust was created in December 2005 by the Internet Society and the
Corporation for National Research Initiatives (CNRI) for the purpose of "the
advancement of education and public interest by acquiring, holding, maintaining
and licensing certain existing and future intellectual property and other
property used in connection with the Internet standards process and its
administration, for the advancement of the science and technology associated
with the Internet and related technology."
<http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/IETF-Trust-Agreement-Executed-12-15-05.pdf>

Issue 1

We have recently been asked permission to republish the TAO with a creative
commons license, but according to counsel, the current trust agreement does not
give the trustees the rights to do this.

- Without specific language being added to the trust agreement, we cannot grant
these types of requests.
- The current open request for a creative commons license from 6/18/2013 cannot
be completed.

Issue 2

We cannot currently accept physical assets like hardware donations into the
trust.  Once accepted into the trust, we would be unable to dispose of these
items in the future if they are identified as no longer being needed.

- This removes flexibility in managing assets in the trust, and we currently
use alternative methods of accepting donations outside of the trust.

Issue 3

Once a domain name or trademark is registered by the trust, it cannot be
abandoned even if it is no longer needed.

- We must maintain these in perpetuity based on legal counsel review of the
current language

You can also find the latest trust report that covers these items and was
presented at the IETF 87 plenary here:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/87/slides/slides-87-iesg-opsplenary-4

Thank you and we look forward to getting your feedback.

Chris Griffiths
Chair, IETF Trust