Re: Community Feedback: IETF Trust Agreement Issues

2013-08-05 06:10:07

On Aug 3, 2013, at 8:48 AM, Chris Griffiths <cgriffiths(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:

IETF Community,

The IETF Trust Trustees would like feedback from the community on several
issues:
      - We have received requests that we cannot accommodate and have
consulted legal counsel to review our options
      - The trust agreement does not allow the trustees to effectively manage
some trust assets

From this mail it is not clear what type of feedback you are looking for. I
like your direct question from the slide deck better. There you asked:
Does the community feel these are reasonable reasons to update the trust
agreement?

The answer to that question is: yes. It seems reasonable to open up the
agreement in order to fulfill its purpose in reasonable, effective, and
pragmatic ways.

I would expect the trust to come back with a proposal once there seems to be
consensus that the the agreement should be opened. My requirement would be that
that proposal reflects that the Trust will deal with the assets in a way that
is sensible and serves community needs.

Best, and thanks,

--Olaf

PS. As an aside, something that might be helpful for other readers of this
thread: The word agreement in "Trust Agreement" might be confusing to the
community, but I think that it is important to point out that the agreement
can, since July 1, 2010, be modified unilaterally by the trust (see 10.1 for
details and boundary conditions).  So except the due diligence that is needed
to reflect the communities requirements there is no further negotiation needed
with the Settlers.