Re: procedural question with remote participation

2013-08-05 03:38:07
On 8/4/13 4:41 PM, Hadriel Kaplan wrote:

On Aug 3, 2013, at 7:25 PM, John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com>
wrote:

First, probably to the "when meetings begin" part, but noting that
someone who gets onto the audio a few minutes late is in exactly
the same situation as someone who walks into the meeting room a few
minutes late -- announcements at the beginning of the session are
ineffective.

Jabber appears to have some way of setting a banner/announcement
thing that shows up when you first join a jabber session, because
I've seen such a thing on occasion.  I don't know if it's defined in
some standard way in XMPP or a proprietary extension.  But assuming
it's either standard or defacto and popular, we could put the NOTE
WELL in it (or a URL to a NOTE WELL).

Likewise for the IETF web pages with the audio links, so that you see
the NOTE WELL before clicking the audio link.  Or even have an
annoying pop-up if you prefer. (ugh)

I don't want to promise too much, but in time for Vancouver I'll
probably finish some code that sends you all sorts of helpful
information when you join the jabber room. There is a standardized "room
subject" message but not all IM clients show you that, so I plan to have
it sent as a one-off message when you join the chatroom.

Further discussion, if any, on the tools-discuss(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org list.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/