Re: procedural question with remote participation

2013-08-05 09:19:23

Spencer Dawkins <spencerdawkins(_dot_)ietf(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> quoted Hadiel
really poorly,
which confused me as you who said this, but I think it was Hadriel now:
    > OK, I'll bite.  Why do you and Michael believe you need to have the
    > slides 1 week in advance?

1) As a WG chair, I'd like to see the slides from a (new) presenter in
   advance to make sure that the *presentation* is on topic, there aren't
   too many slides, and that ideally, it is a request for discussion rather
   than a presentation.
   That's where the deadline comes from.  I don't suggest that

2) As a remote participate, I'd much rather have consolidate slides.
   That requires a bit of time/effort on the part of the chairs.

3) As an open-standards body, I believe it is hypocritical for us to be
   posting slides in a vendor proprietary format or one from a "standards"
   body that seems to have all of features we dislike (like pay to vote).
   (I'm okay with the secretariat doing conversion, but they are not instant)
   (And,open source tools running on open platforms sometimes do not
   render the slides as intended due to lack of a font or a other thing)

    > Not getting the slides at all is a different matter - but 7 days in
    > advance is counter-productive.  They should be as up-to-date as
    > practical, to take into account mailing list discussions. [or at least
    > that's how I justify my same-day, ultra-fresh slides]

I distinquish between rev-00 of slides and rev-09.  I don't have a problem
with updates to the slides, assuming you can find the "Export as PDF"
button. It would be best if you didn't create new slides due to numbering
changes.
I also understand that ADs running area meeting aren't going to have status
updates 7 days in advance, nor do I expect them to.

I had not considered Spencer's point about translation, and frankly it is a
really really really good point.

    > None of this should be taken as disagreement with proposals to
    > experiment with
    > room shapes, whiteboards, , etc. that I heard last week.

+1

]     mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on
rails    [

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software Works