Re: [iaoc-rps] RPS Accessibility

2013-08-06 17:16:08

On Aug 6, 2013, at 4:46 PM, Ted Lemon <Ted(_dot_)Lemon(_at_)nominum(_dot_)com>
wrote:

On Aug 6, 2013, at 4:37 PM, Hadriel Kaplan
<hadriel(_dot_)kaplan(_at_)oracle(_dot_)com> wrote:
If the problem is "we don't know who's speaking", then fix that problem.  In
WGs I go to, both the WG chairs and the jabber scribes regularly yell
"NAME!" if someone forgets to say it.  Unlike DNS Ops, this isn't rocket
science.

This doesn't work very well.   In one meeting where I was scribing this IETF,
I had to shout NAME at the same person several times, because he didn't state
his name clearly enough for me to be sure I'd gotten it, and so it didn't
stick.   I hate doing this—I think it's disruptive, and nobody likes getting
yelled at.   I certainly don't like _having_ to yell.

Yeah, the best scenario (other than the person just remembering to say their
name), is for the Chairs to remind them - because they have their own
microphones so they don't have to actually yell.

But another thing that works well is to have the jabber scribe sit in a seat
right next to the microphone, because then they don't have to yell either.

-hadriel