Re: [iaoc-rps] RPS Accessibility

2013-08-06 19:42:39
Yes, a group from my lab did this, using short-range RFID. (The range was about
1-2 inches.) It required a bit of a setup which made it hard to replicate at
scale, but it worked reasonably well.

Privacy concerns are an issue, but you'd have to be very close to the person to
sense the card (and you can obviously leave it behind any time you'd want to) -
it would be much more convenient to track people using BlueTooth or WiFi MAC
addresses, if you'd be so inclined, or just use video cameras. Yes, you can use
long-range directional antennas to increase your read range, but those would be
rather hard to hide. As was mentioned, the hotel room cards use very much the
same technology, and you can't really leave them behind when you leave the
building.

Henning