Academic and open source rate (was: Charging remote participants)

2013-08-18 04:27:12
Hi Hadriel,
At 12:31 16-08-2013, Hadriel Kaplan wrote:
I may be misunderstanding you, but I'm proposing we charge "large corporations with large travel budgets" slightly *more* than others.[1] I'm not suggesting an overhaul of the system. I'm not proposing they get more attention, or more weight, or any such thing.

That sounds like the ability to pay. It might be worth considering changing the student rate to an academic and open source rate and doubling the rate. I am not getting into a definition of "academic" or "open source" [1]. It is left to the organization to determine whether it is a good idea to be honest or try the weasel words [2] approach.

Regards,
-sm

1. If the IETF is serious about running code (see RFC 6982) it would try to encourage open source developers to participate more effectively in the IETF.

2. weasel words give the impression of taking a firm position while avoiding commitment to any specific claim.