Re: Academic and open source rate (was: Charging remote participants)

2013-08-18 13:25:14
On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 8:33 AM, Hadriel Kaplan
<hadriel(_dot_)kaplan(_at_)oracle(_dot_)com>wrote:

On Aug 18, 2013, at 5:21 AM, SM <sm(_at_)resistor(_dot_)net> wrote:

1. If the IETF is serious about running code (see RFC 6982) it would try
to encourage open source developers to participate more effectively in the
IETF.

Define "open source developers".  Technically quite a lot of developers at
my employer develop "open source", as do many at many of the corporations
which send people to the IETF.  Heck, even I personally submit code to
Wireshark now and then.  Distinguishing between "Self-paying" vs.
"Expensing" is pretty easy.  "Open source" vs. "Closed source" is a big can
of worms.

+1

I suspect we have all done the open source thing at some point. Whether
open source makes sense as a business strategy depends on your position in
the ecosystem. Folk like the 10gen (MongoDB) people can't compete against
Oracle for the closed source DB market so an open source plus proprietary
service strategy is completely logical for them.

Following the most a logical business model for your product is hardly a
point of moral superiority. I am currently putting a large amount of my
private code onto SourceForge as open source, should my employer get a
discount for this? Should my employer pay a premium rate to allow discounts
to others? Should the fact that my employer provides open source products
that facilitate consuming a proprietary product count?

I really don't think this makes any sense at all. Open Source is not Free
Software though some people conflate the two.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/