Re: ORCID - unique identifiers for contributors

2013-09-18 04:22:39
On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM, Abdussalam Baryun
<abdussalambaryun(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
I agree with both, but maybe the problem is that people from academia are
not participating enough to report to ADs their concerns (e.g. what is bad
in ietf, or lack of diversity), on the other hand, people from industry are
more organised and don't need/want the academians ideas/participations :-)

Not really, at least in my case.  The problem is the different nature
of the work done in IETF and in academia. In IETF the work is mostly
of "engineering" nature: you have a problem (e.g., update HTTP with
new features) and you try to solve it using, as much as possible,
well-known approaches/algorithms/...  It is not common that an IETF
problem requires some strongly original approach.  In academia,
instead, we are evaluated on the basis of the scientific papers we
produce and, usually, solutions in IETF protocols are not original
enough to deserve publication on scientific journals.

*Please note*: let me emphasize that I am not criticizing neither of
the two worlds (IETF or academia); it is just that we have two
similar, but different (important) jobs with minimal overlap... With
limited resources (not only funds, also students are nowadays a scarce
resource) we must concentrate our efforts where the return for unit of
work is larger.

Riccardo

AB

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 6:46 AM, Riccardo Bernardini
<framefritti(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 3:14 AM, George Michaelson
<ggm(_at_)algebras(_dot_)org>
wrote:
Currently, IETF standards activity carries little or no weight for an
academic career profile. It doesn't appear to have a weighting compared
peer review publication. I think this is a shame, because the
contribution
is as substantive, if not more so. And, since time is limited and
choices
have to be made, I believe good students/postdocs don't come into our
space
because the payback isn't there compared to submission into the
peer-review
process.

(happy to be corrected. this is a belief, not a proven theory)

I can confirm your theory, at least regarding me.
I come from academia. I came with some enthusiasm, happy to try to get
involved in IETF activities; I subscribed to few WG mailing list, but
after some time I discovered that (unfortunately) the payback for unit
of work was much less than just publishing  scientific paper.  So, I
unhappily unsubscribed from most of the ML and I stay here, lurking in
the background, waiting for some interesting subject...

Too bad.