Re: [Fwd: I-D Action: draft-carpenter-prismatic-reflections-00.txt]

2013-09-20 07:15:37
Josh, Stephen,

It is important to understand the limitations of technology in this discussion.
We can improve communications security, and in some cases reduce the amount
information communicated. But we cannot help a situation where you are
communicating with a party that you cannot entirely trust with technology
alone. That does not mean we should not do anything.

I would also like to focus this topic on the general implications for Internet
technology, rather than any specific alleged activities. The discussion has
heightened our need to consider the large-scale monitoring threat. It is
important to understand that the overall situation is probably bigger and more
complex than we see today, and it will also evolve as time goes by. Hence: if
we build something, lets build for the general case, reducing ability of
outsiders to get into communications, reduce amount of sensitive information
transported, make privacy attacks more costly, etc.

Jari