Re: [Fwd: I-D Action: draft-carpenter-prismatic-reflections-00.txt]

2013-09-20 08:38:04
On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 8:15 AM, Jari Arkko
<jari(_dot_)arkko(_at_)piuha(_dot_)net> wrote:
It is important to understand the limitations of technology in this
discussion. We can improve communications security, and in some cases reduce
the amount information communicated. But we cannot help a situation where you
are communicating with a party that you cannot entirely trust with technology
alone. That does not mean we should not do anything.

I would also like to focus this topic on the general implications for
Internet technology, rather than any specific alleged activities. The
discussion has heightened our need to consider the large-scale monitoring
threat. It is important to understand that the overall situation is probably
bigger and more complex than we see today, and it will also evolve as time
goes by. Hence: if we build something, lets build for the general case,
reducing ability of outsiders to get into communications, reduce amount of
sensitive information transported, make privacy attacks more costly, etc.

Yes.  I'm really pleased that privacy in communications has come to
the fore and that we're trying to design it in, but there is much more
to it than the issue of general surveillance.

Scott