Re: Last calling draft-resnick-on-consensus

2013-10-08 08:59:39
I think that this I-D is flawed and should not become an RFC.  It has
several implicit presumptions that I think wrong.

1) It does not state its target audience until, perhaps, the reference
in the Conclusions, to WG Chairs.  It makes no mention of the consensus
calls made by ADs, such as at IETF Last Call, which I think far more
important.  If a WG Chair calls it wrong, there are ADs and IESG who may
put
things right.  When an AD does so, it may be time to abandon hope; and
it is some, a few, of the consensus calls made by ADs at IETF Last Call
that I have thought plain wrong, more so than those by WG Chairs.  Are
ADs assumed to be above and beyond the considerations in this I-D:-(

2)  There is an extensive discussion on the show of hands and the hum.
What technology allows you to conduct those on a mailing list?  The
fundamental rule of the IETF, for me, is that business is conducted on
the mailing list.  What happens at meetings some find useful, and it may
be the quickest way to make progress on thorny issues, but the consensus
call belongs on the mailing list.  Unless this I-D is intending to
subvert that.

3) References to working groups with 100 active participants sound like
a chimera.  I track quite a number of lists, and some have about five
active participants.  (Some Working Group Last Calls attract one or even
zero responses; the reactions of chairs to this is interesting and
varies widely).  Even the busiest lists, v6ops and tcpm, for me, do not
remotely approach 100 active participants.

4)  "Five people for and one hundred people against might still be rough
    consensus".  Can you see the presumption in that?  Read on and the
following text makes it clear that five are 'right' and one hundred
'wrong', but you are presuming that "for" is the right answer.  The
right answer to a consensus call is a consensus,which can be "against",
as much as "for", something that does not seem to be contemplated here.

5) Good WG chairs, and happily there are plenty of them, make their
presumptions plain, as in asking for information about implementations
at or around judging consensus.  The views of someone who has
independently produced rough code is then likely to outweigh those of a
dozen people who have not, so three such expressing a view in one
direction will prevail over several dozen who have not in the opposite
direction.  (This is all right as far as it goes, but I would like the
views of users and operators to count for even more, since it is they
who have the most to gain or lose; but sadly, their representation here
is small and often not apparent).  You quote Dave Clark's aphorism but
then ignore half of it.

6)  The document is strangely silent about what the vast mass of the
IETF who are not WG Chairs might do to help reach a consensus,
such as express an opinion, clearly, technically; else, perhaps, keep
quiet.

7) As has been said before when documents like this are up for
discussion, the IETF is an organisation of engineers and, for the most
part, we do it rather well.  Managing and leading loose and diverse
groups of people is more psychology or sociology  than technology, at
which we are mostly amateurs.  We then go beyond our capabilities and
get it wrong.  As here.

Tom Petch