Re: Last calling draft-resnick-on-consensus

2013-10-10 22:09:05
On 10/7/13 7:48 AM, Lou Berger wrote:
I think it misses two
important points that should be addressed prior to publication:

1)  The role WG/IETF mailing lists play in building and
      gauging consensus

Yeah, as I just replied to Tom, I think this is worth adding, probably in section 2 or 3.

2) That some participants/chairs/I*s like seeing hands, and that's okay

Yes, this is directly said in section 4, paragraphs 4 & 5. What do you think is missing?

There are different ways to achieve and determine consensus.  As stated
in RFC2418:
    Consensus
    can be determined by a show of hands, humming, or any other means on
    which the WG agrees (by rough consensus, of course).  Note that 51%
    of the working group does not qualify as "rough consensus" and 99% is
    better than rough.  It is up to the Chair to determine if rough
    consensus has been reached.

As I said in my reply to Dave, there's part of the above that I disagree with, or at least think is an oversimplification. But it definitely need citing.

pr

Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478