RE: Proper credit for work done -- on finding chairs (was CHANGE THE JOB)

2013-10-17 20:04:16
Interesting, although I'll counter the point that your company is not promoted.

As a chair now, because there is a lot of interest in information sharing, I am
asked to speak quite often either on panels or talks.  Through these
activities, my company, the IETF, and the WG are all promoted.  This does add
extra work, but if promoting your organization is important, it could be
possible.

Best regards,
Kathleen

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Barry Leiba
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:48 PM
To: IETF Discuss
Subject: Re: Proper credit for work done -- on finding chairs (was CHANGE THE
JOB)

Ted says, with respect to "Quickly replace failing WG Chairs":
You forgot "from a magical pool of better qualified WG chairs who have
the time and inclination to take on the work."

Let me tell you about a conversation I had when I was trying to fill a chair
position: I asked someone I thought could and would do a good job as chair.
She was also a proponent of the technology, and wanted to be a document author.
was something like this:

"I work for a small company.  Whatever work I do on this takes away from what I
do for them, and they want to see something tangible from it.  If I'm
(co-)author on a document, my name, and my company's is at the top of the
document.  I get credit for the work.  My company gets credit for the work.

"If I'm a working group chair, I do more work, overall.  And, in the end, I get
no credit for it -- my name is not on any of the documents.
 And, significantly, my company gets no credit for it whatsoever, not even
listed in the datatracker.

"When I go to my boss and give him the alternatives, I know which he'll pick."

Barry